- 6 oz Unrefined Shea Butter
- Iced Water
- Fragrance Oil – (optional)
- 4 oz Grapeseed or Almond Oil
- ½ teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
You will also need a double boiler, a mixing bowl, whisk, and freezer space for your mixing bowl.
- Add 2 – 2½ inches of water to the bottom pot of the double boiler and add 6 oz of shea butter to the top pot. Place over medium heat until completely melted.
- Pour the melted shea butter into a mixing bowl and add 4 oz of Grapeseed or Almond Oil, 1 teaspoon Cornstarch, ½ teaspoon Vitamin E Oil, and Fragrence Oil if desired. Due to the variation in quality and potency of fragrance oil, the amount of oil needed could vary widely. Use your best judgment.
- Mix the ingredients together in the bowl for 30 seconds.
- Place the bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and whisk the mixture while it continues to cool. The goal is to increase the shea butter’s consistency until it resembles that of whipped cream.
- If necessary, return to the freezer for a few minutes to cool it more rapidly and then continue mixing.
An alternative to this Shea Butter Lotion Recipe is our Whipped Shea Butter Recipe. Whipped Shea Butter has tiny air bubbles in it which gives it a more fluffy feel.