Fired Amazon workers in India break down, ‘crying in the office’

Fired Amazon workers in India break down, 'crying in the office'

As Amazon announced it was laying off 18,000 employees globally, including nearly 1,000 in India, reports have surfaced that some of the affected workers broke down and were left “crying in the office” when they learned they had been asked to go.

On Grapevine, a community app for Indian professionals, an Amazon India employee posted sad scenes in offices, including people crying after announcing layoffs.

“About 75 percent of my team is gone. Although I belong to the remaining 25 percent, I no longer feel motivated to work. They fire people in huts. People cry in the office,” the employee writes. .

IANS was unable to independently verify the Grapevine user affected by Amazon layoffs.

Corporate Chat India also posted the user’s screenshot that read “Atmosphere at Amazon India as layoffs fall”.

The layoffs affected both freshmen and veteran workers at Amazon India offices in Bengaluru, Gurugram and other places.

The company has mainly closed companies that are in the early stages of development.

Last week, the Labor Commission Office in Pune sent a summons to Amazon regarding mass layoffs and voluntary segregation.

The letter to the IT workers union asked to collectively discuss the alleged layoffs at the company in India on January 17.

“The livelihoods of thousands of employees and their families have now been made vulnerable. Under the procedures laid down in the Industrial Dispute Act, the employer cannot, without the prior approval of the appropriate government, fire an employee who appears on the establishment’s muster rolls Harpreet Singh Saluja, president of the Nascent Information Technology Employees Senate (NITES) union, said in a statement.

In November last year, Amazon introduced a voluntary segregation policy for its employees.

In the same month, the Union Labor Ministry called on Amazon India to appear before the Deputy Chief Labor Commissioner in Bengaluru in connection with the company’s alleged forced terminations.

“You (Amazon) are therefore requested to visit this office with all pertinent records in the case either in person or through an authorized representative at the above date and time,” the ministry’s statement read.

The development comes after a complaint filed by the NITES union accuses Amazon of violating labor laws.

In a letter to Union Labor Minister Bhupender Yadav, NITES alleged that Amazon staffers had been forcibly removed from the company.

Earlier this month, Amazon confirmed it is laying off about 18,000 employees and several teams will be affected, particularly Amazon Stores and People, Experience and Technology (PXT) organizations.

Amazon CEO Andy Jassy said in a statement that they had not yet completed the annual planning process as previously stated, and “I expected more role reductions in early 2023.”

Leave a Comment